1.31.2009

Pesto and Homemade Pasta

I am excited about this picture. It makes me remember how good homemade pasta is.

Pesto is one of my very favorite sauces for many reasons.

Number one: I love herbs and garlic
Number two: You don't have to cook it
Number three: It can be changed to meet what you have
Number four: It's cheap (as long as you grow your own herbs)

Joy's Pesto Sauce

2 cloves garlic
2 handfuls of herbs (usually basil, I used arugula and parsley for this batch because my basil is so sad)
1/4 c parmesan, or a similar cheese
1 lemon's zest
1/4-1/2 c nuts, toasted (traditionally pine nuts, I use walnuts usually because they are cheaper and work well)
salt and pepper
olive oil

1. Blend in a food processor the garlic, zest and nuts
2. Add the herbs, blend
3. Add the cheese, salt and pepper
4. Add olive oil until it resembles this
It will be really thick but I prefer to thin it out with pasta water(the water in the pot after you boil pasta. It's healthier, cheaper, and makes the pesto stick to the pasta really well.

On the side I served Veggie "Meatballs". I used the rest of the filling from the Stuffed tomatoes, shaped them into balls and put on a baking sheet with olive oil and cheese on top. Bake until it is really browned.

No comments: