10.02.2008

Food As Love

I have always believed that FOOD=LOVE. In culinary school on the day we made ravioli my teacher said that making ravioli meant you loved someone. Making ravioli is tedious and unnecessary, and that you must love someone to make it for them. I took that to HEART. It has become my signature dish. If you come to my house for dinner, four times out of five I will make ravioli because even if you don't know it, I know that RAVIOLI=LOVE. Today I spent a lot of my day making ravioli for a few friends as well as freezing plenty for the person I love most, whose had more ravioli than a person could ever ask for. What does food mean to you? And what do you make to let the people around you know that they are loved?

I use homemade pasta, but you could also use wonton wrappers. If you have a pasta roller my pasta recipe is 1 cup flour, 1 egg, and a little olive oil and water. Knead until it is smooth and refrigerate for an hour before using. The filling is a container of ricotta, an egg, seasoning, parmesan cheese, spinach... and whatever else you want, its a good place to be creative. GO AHEAD, SHOW SOMEONE YOU LOVE THEM.

1 comment:

Lisa and Mark said...

I love your ravioli! And I love that we were privileged enough to be one the list of people you care about enough to have your ravioli! Someday I'm really going to try to make my own ravioli for the people I love and I'll tell them you taught me how!