11.06.2008

Baked French Toast

I'm all about bread pudding these days huh? Hopefully you are liking what I'm bringing! If not, remember ask for something else. I promise to try and make everything that people ask for.

Here is my thoughts on Baked French Toast. I feel in love with it at corner bakery. They make some killer french toast. To make it at home I want to add cream cheese, I want to make it slightly bread puddingish but I want it to still come across as french toast.

Ingredients:
1 loaf Brioche Bread, sliced thin(and eggy rich bread)(another idea would be the cinnamon raisin bread in the red package, not sure what it is, but I LOVED it growing up)
6 eggs
8 oz cream cheese
2 cups half and half
1 T cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt

  1. Mix eggs, half and half, cinnamon, brown sugar and salt.
  2. Toast bread, either in toaster or broiled. This makes it soak up more liquid. split it into four piles so you have enough for 4 layers.
  3. Spray 9x13 pan and lay out 1 layer of bread. spread half cream cheese over this layer. They layer with more bread. Pour half the mixture over this bread. Push down on the bread so it soaks in the liquid. Do another layer of bread and the rest of the cream cheese. Do the rest of the bread and pour on the rest of the egg mixture. Press down again to make sure everything is equally soaked.
  4. Top with melted butter, cinnamon and sugar.
  5. Bake at 350 until the top is golden and the liquid has solidified.
YUM! I think I might be making this this weekend...

4 comments:

Sarah said...

With turkey day approaching... we'd love to make a delicious {and unique} out-of-the-bird stuffing. You always have such fun twists, even with a simple salad so I'm wondering if you could share some interesting tips or ingredients we could add to turkey stuffing to make it extra special?

Sarah said...

ps. we are making your tomato sauce and freezing batches this weekend! thanks for inspiring.

Erin A said...

Wow! This looks amazing! Do you think I"d be able to make it ahead of time and freeze it? Then on Christmas morning put it in the oven. Should I thaw it the night before?

Joy said...

i'm never sure how i feel about freezing cream cheese. you get leave it in the fridge unbaked for a day though, or you could bake it and than just rewarm it the morning of. that's what i would do.