11.04.2008

Tomato Sauce

I've had a request for my tomato sauce recipe. I am all for homemade tomato sauce for three reasons:

it is so cheap
you will never run out because you make huge batches
you can make it to your own tastes

TOMATO SAUCE (big batch)


1 #10 can of chopped tomatoes( i use whatever dice size is the cheapest, and a #10 can is the big one you find at costco)
1 bundle of celery
2-3 yellow onions
1 pound carrots (the real ones, no babies!)
4 cloves garlic
5 slices of bacon (optional)

1. chop your bacon in tiny peices and cook in the pan you will use to make the sauce. Once they are browned remove from pan
2. chop veggies into a small dice and cook (add garlic once the other vegetables have softened)
3. and bacon back in as well as canned tomatoes
4. add salt and pepper
5. bring to a simmer and reduce heat t0 low, cover and let simmer for at least 2 hours. The longer the better.
6. Blend in the end to as thin as you would like.

One of the best things about this basic sauce is that it can be transformed so easily. Add a can of chicken stock and you have a simple tomato soup. Add basil and you have a fresh sauce. Cook up some ground meat and you have a nice bolognese. Easy right?

Once I've made the sauce I chill it and pour it in small ziplocks and freeze. That way I have tomato sauce whenever I need and I can change the sauce each time I pull it out of the freezer.

Trust me- It's worth the 15 minutes of work it takes.

2 comments:

merideth said...

finally!!! i am going to do this. mmm homemade sauce sounds so good. how about a breadstick recipe to go with it?

Lisa and Mark said...

Thanks! Mark will be so happy!