11.05.2008

More On Bread Pudding

Bread Pudding has to be one of the simplest desserts to make, as well as one of the easiest to change and make your own.
The basic ingredients are :

Bread
Eggs
Cream
Additions


Bread can be almost anything. Traditionally you would use a day old loaf of a white bread, sans crust. I use croissants, donuts(Paula Dean, I shook my head until I tried it), chocolate cake, or day old bread. They all work, and as you can imagine add a different element to the pudding.

The eggs are pretty much standard. Some people use all yolks, some use a mixture. I like to use whole eggs because I feel like the dessert is already heavy enough, and than I don't have whites sitting around waiting for another use.

Cream- you can use cream, half and half or whole milk. I recommend half and half, it seems to be the right choice. The other two will work though, or a mixture of the above. I am all about what I already have on hand.

Additions: apples, pears, chocolate chunks(melts and makes little pockets of chocolate, you would not beleive!), raspberries, nuts, etc. I also love to use a cinnamon sugar mix on top to give it a crispy crust. Cinnamon seems to make bread pudding bread pudding. Whether it is chocolate or plain, I think it works.

Basic Recipe:

5 eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups half and half
8 cups bread

Bake at 350 until the liquid is all gone.

2 comments:

Julianne said...

Thanks Joy! You make it sound so easy to customize it... knowing me, I'll have to call you every step of the way. But I can't wait to try it!

Erin A said...

This is in my top 10 of favorite desserts! You and I need to plan a double lunch date with our hubbies and stop by Penzeys spices on the way!

Hey--do you have any great ideas for a french toast type casserole? I'm looking for something fun for Christmas morning. I had one last year served with a cherry compote on top and it was amazing! (Only I made it at dream dinners and don't think I can replicate it)